29 May 2009

Synology DS207+ - Troubles with Volume - Disk 2 crashes

From time to time my Synology DS207+ suffers from a invalid RAID1 volume and telling me "volume 1 was degrade, please repair it". Well if I do so and start the repairing process my DS207+ works for the next 24h (up 3 days). After that period it tells me that disk 2 in volume 1 has crashed and that I should replace the disk.

Well the first time I really did replace the harddisk but after 3 months the same thing happend to this brand new harddisk. So I decided to take the harddisk out and put it into my PC. Starting my OS and deleting all partions on that disc. And well - oh wonder - this worked. To me this behaviour seems like a strange bug in the Synology firmware. Anyway to me this is the fastest work around to get my NAS up and running again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Silvio, I have the same problem (rigt now) with Syno207+ and Raid1 desync by installing 1TB Seagate (no wrong firmware) i have had in my 1st Syno 209+ 1 years ago. That was a reason why ommit Raid and use the only backup from 1T to 1T disk volume2. Unfortunately if Volume with OS crashed, there is no simple way to install them into backupped volume. Yesterday my 2nd Syno crashed AFTER all data was copied into it (and rsynced to another one, no Raid).
It may by accident, but crash started after copying 68GB of encrypted file from previous Windows machine (file was moved OK and stil exist on backup). I was not able to found some solution for keeping data on Volume1 AND repair OS (in fact, using CLI, there were NO problems with OS, no dirty volume (chcked by fsck) and no log messages except stupid info about destroing volume..., with no helping details).

I agree with your conclusion: Syno has a BIG BUG in the firmware and is NOT ABLE to help to guys with the same problem /see syno forum, where the same problem is reported not only for DS209/. The question is: whats now? I lost my trust with Syno reliability :(

-mk